Distance: 1 mile
Date: Saturday, June 11, 2016 (Rain date is Sunday, June 19)
Check-in: 6:45am – 7:20am
Location: River Dock (near Arthur Fiedler head statue by the Hatch Shell on Esplanade)
Description: One-mile loop course between Harvard and Longfellow Bridge. Water start. Please see maps.
Fees: $45 before April 25, $55 before May 16, and $65 before May 31. USMS membership is a requirement and a one-day membership can be purchased as part of the registration process for $15.
Participant cap: 200 swimmers
Registration: Registration is currently open. As part of online registration you have the option to purchase a one-day USMS membership, if you are not already a USMS member. Only pre-registered swimmers are allowed to participate and we cannot accommodate substitutions.
- Only pre-registered swimmers are allowed to compete.
- Water temperature: Has historically been 70 degrees or above.
- Wetsuits are allowed, unless the water temperature exceeds 78 degrees (per USMS rule).
- Other assistive devices, including masks, fins, snorkels, and paddles are not allowed.
- Swimmers are not permitted to wear headphones during the race.
- This swim is not for novices; it is for experienced open-water swimmers only. At a minimum you should be able to swim one mile comfortably in under 40 minutes.
- USMS membership is required. Day-long membership is $15 and can be purchased as part of the online registration.
- Age requirement: 18 years minimum
- Kayakers will provide support during the race
- Fluorescent swim caps will be provided and must be worn for safety reasons
- Mandatory Athlete check-in from 6:45am to 7:20am, need to bring ID and USMS membership card if already a 2016 member
- Pre-race announcement at 7:40am
- Start 8am
- Bag-check available
- The rain date will be Sunday, July 19.
- This swim is not for novices; this event is for experienced open-water swimmers only. We ask that you either list at least one open water race you completed during the last 2 years or that you certify that you swim the distance of at least one mile in the pool several times a week. You should be able to swim one mile comfortably in a pool in under 40 minutes.
- The race is dependent on weather conditions and may be canceled under adverse conditions. Swimmers may encounter random jetsam and flotsam in the river.
- In the even of heavy or prolonged rainfall, the swim might be canceled. In that case, we will send out an e-mail the day before the race and have a notice on this website.
- Awards, goodies, race packet and post-race refreshments
- Bragging rights for having swam a mile in the Charles River!
We suggest you arrive by public transportation, biking or walking. The closest MBTA station is the Charles/MGH station on the Red Line or Arlington or Copley Station on the Green Line. Volunteers will greet persons crossing the Arthur Fiedler footbridge or the Charles/MGH footbridge. Pay parking is available at the Boston Common garage.